Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Sthol

Title: Beautiful Creatures
Author: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Genre: Fantasy, Gothic, Romance, Young Adul 
Publisher: Little, Brown (Hachette)
Publication Date: December 2009
Hardcover: 576 pages



There were no surprises in Gatlin County. We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.At least, that's what I thought.Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.There was a curse.There was a girl.And in the end, there was a grave. Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever. 
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them. In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


I was so excited when I got this book. I couldn't wait to read it. That being said, it wasn't exactly how I thought it would be. I thought it was going to be spooky and creepy, but it wasn't. There definitely were ghosts and dark forces; but it just wasn't freaking me out. I still enjoyed it though. The concept of this book is totally different from typical YA paranormals. 


I enjoyed the writing style. Even though there were two authors writing, I couldn't tell when one stopped and the other one started. Telling the story from a male POV was very refreshing. The creation of the characters was absolutely brilliant. They were so different and the way their pasts unraveled was amazing and drew me in. The mini history lesson within the book was enjoyable because the setting takes place in small historical town. The town's history plays a big role in the lives of the main characters. Lena and Ethan. 


The authors did a great job building excitement and suspicion throughout the story. There were some parts to the ending that I didn't enjoy, SPOILER: switching to Lena's POV? Uhm, not a good idea. They both were set up as really smart and intelligent characters but they did some really dumb things in the end. Anyways, this book was definitely worth the read I hope you all check it out.  

1 comment: